The WOD or workout-of-the-day is a physical test designed to increase your work capacity and/or to teach technical skills. Our WODs are constantly varied, consisting of functional movements, executed at maximal intensities. All of the wods are scalable and can be done by anyone regardless of one's current level of fitness.
CrossFit WODs consist of Gymnastics, Weightlifting, and other Monostructural Elements such as running, rowing, or jumping rope. We mix in these elements in as many varying ways as possible so, we can elicit a strong adaptation to the unknown and unknowable nature of the real world. We are forging elite fitness!
Here's some insight from Coach Glassman on the intent of CrossFit:
"CrossFit is in large part derived from several simple observations garnered through hanging out with athletes for thirty years and willingness, if not eagerness, to experiment coupled with a total disregard for conventional wisdom. Let me share some of the more formative of these observations:
1. Gymnasts learn new sports faster than other athletes.
2. Olympic lifters can apply more useful power to more activities than other athletes.
3. Powerlifters are stronger than other athletes.
4. Sprinters can match the cardiovascular performance of endurance athletes, even at extended efforts.
5. Endurance athletes are woefully lacking in total physical capacity.
6. With high carb diets you either get fat or weak.
7. Bodybuilders can't punch, jump, run, or throw like athletes can.
8. Segmenting training efforts delivers a segmented capacity.
9. Optimizing physical capacity requires training at unsustainable intensities.
10. The world's most successful athletes and coaches rely on exercise science the way deer hunters rely on the accordion."